Keep Us Strong WikiLeaks logo

Currently released so far... 5408 / 251,287

Articles

Browse latest releases

Browse by creation date

Browse by origin

A B C D F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z

Browse by tag

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
QA
YM YI YE

Browse by classification

Community resources

courage is contagious

Viewing cable 08TRIPOLI745, GERMAN OIL FIRM RWE MAKES TWO MORE DISCOVERIES IN LIBYA

If you are new to these pages, please read an introduction on the structure of a cable as well as how to discuss them with others. See also the FAQs

Understanding cables
Every cable message consists of three parts:
  • The top box shows each cables unique reference number, when and by whom it originally was sent, and what its initial classification was.
  • The middle box contains the header information that is associated with the cable. It includes information about the receiver(s) as well as a general subject.
  • The bottom box presents the body of the cable. The opening can contain a more specific subject, references to other cables (browse by origin to find them) or additional comment. This is followed by the main contents of the cable: a summary, a collection of specific topics and a comment section.
To understand the justification used for the classification of each cable, please use this WikiSource article as reference.

Discussing cables
If you find meaningful or important information in a cable, please link directly to its unique reference number. Linking to a specific paragraph in the body of a cable is also possible by copying the appropriate link (to be found at theparagraph symbol). Please mark messages for social networking services like Twitter with the hash tags #cablegate and a hash containing the reference ID e.g. #08TRIPOLI745.
Reference ID Created Released Classification Origin
08TRIPOLI745 2008-09-22 12:12 2011-02-01 21:09 UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY Embassy Tripoli
Appears in these articles:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wikileaks-files/libya-wikileaks/
VZCZCXRO8238
RR RUEHTRO
DE RUEHTRO #0745 2661258
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 221258Z SEP 08
FM AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 3918
INFO RUCPDOC/DEPT OF COMMERCE WASHINGTON DC
RHMFIUU/DEPT OF ENERGY WASHINGTON DC
RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN 0039
RUEHTU/AMEMBASSY TUNIS 0619
RUEHRB/AMEMBASSY RABAT 0715
RUEHTRO/AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI 4435
UNCLAS TRIPOLI 000745 
 
SENSITIVE 
SIPDIS 
 
DEPT FOR NEA/MAG, ENERGY FOR GINA ERIKSON, COMMERCE FOR NATE 
MASON 
 
E.O. 12958: N/A 
TAGS: ECON EINV ENRG EPET PREL LY
SUBJECT: GERMAN OIL FIRM RWE MAKES TWO MORE DISCOVERIES IN LIBYA 
 
REF: A) 08 TRIPOLI 474; B) 08 TRIPOLI  597  1. (SBU) The German oil firm RWE made two more oil discoveries in the Sirte Basin in Libya in September 2008.  RWE's new successful discoveries do not reveal any new fields, but ensure the potential of its blocks in the Sirte Basin, where the quality of its sweet crude is high, and operating costs are low ($1-5 a barrel).  Further appraisal work will be required in order to confirm the scale of the anticipated reserves and the possibilities of exploiting them economically.  2. (SBU) RWE is assessing these new reservoirs and is planning five further exploratory wells.  RWE also intends to drill a series of appraisal wells in order to further define the most promising areas in its concession.  3. (SBU) The agreement signed in June 2003 between RWE and the Libyan National Oil Corporation (NOC) fell under Exploration and Production Share Agreement-III (EPSA-III), and covers six blocks with a total area of 30,270 square kilometers. This EPSA agreement runs for a period of 30 years, with the NOC retaining a 68 percent interest in the block, and RWE holding the remaining 32 percent.  RWE is the Operator with a 100 percent participation interest in these concessions.  (Note: The EPSA-III framework featured significantly higher production shares for international oil companies (IOC's) whereas the latest EPSA-IV framework entails higher Libyan government shares (see reftels a, b).  End note.)  4. (SBU) Comment: Overall, the exploration program of RWE in the Libyan Sirte Basin, with seven discoveries to date, is successful but not surprising since the Sirte Basin contains approximately 80 percent of Libya's total proven oil reserves. End of comment.   STEVENS